How to look good in pictures
This post is also available in: Spanish
I get my picture taken regularly, and not to toot my own horn or anything, but I’m pretty good at it! I’ve always loved being in front of the camera. During family trips as soon as my mom whipped hers out I would get front and center and flash her all my teeth- with braces, back in the day. “Just like your grandmother, Aminta,” she would say. Apparently, abuela Aminta was also a fan of getting her picture taken. So besides her name I also inherited her love for photos.
A lot of people are scared of cameras and shy away from them in fear they won’t look very good in pictures, but I have found there are many tricks to make yourself look as good as possible. A while back I did this short video (also below) with some tips, but I’m including some more right now. I’m using some of my pictures as examples. Don’t forget to click on the links below them so you can see the whole outfit! :)
1. Stand tall and proud. Want an instant way to look five pounds thinner and 100 times more confident without having to work out and diet? Good posture! Slouching makes you seem shorter, wider, like you’re related to Quasimodo and it makes you look insecure. You should stand straight all the time, not only when taking a picture.
Extra feathers. This was one of the first looks I shot for the blog in 2011. I learned this lesson the hard way
2. Don’t let people see up your nose. I know, I know. You’re standing in front of the camera and you’re hearing Tyra Banks’ voice saying “you wanna be on top?” and you start singing the theme song to America’s Next Top Model in your head (what? you don’t do that?) and you’re trying to look fierce so you put one hand on your hip, kick one leg to the side and tilt your head back. BEEEEEEP! WROOOOONG! I know exactly how posing like that makes you feel- it makes you feel hella sexy, like you’re a chick in charge. You may feel fabulous, but girl, all everyone else can see is your brain through your nostrils. Bring your chin down a little bit. There, much better. Na na na na na na, na na na na na na…
3. Make yourself look taller. Never ask someone taller than you to take a picture. It’s all about perspective. If you’re being shot from above you’re going to look tiny. Hand your camera to your petite friend, or have them kneel/bend down to take the picture. Be a good photographer and do the same for your pals.
4. Make yourself look longer/bustier/skinnier. Again, it’s all about perspective. Keep in mind that the body part closer to the camera lens is going to look the biggest in the picture. If you want your legs to look loooooong try sticking one forward. If you want to look fuller on top stick your chest out, you get the idea.
5. Practice makes perfect. You’re a beautiful woman, there’s no harm in looking at yourself a few minutes a day in the mirror to find your best angles. Practice a couple of poses but never be that girl who looks the same in every picture (we all have that one friend).
And in case you didn’t see it the first time around, here’s the video!